Aga Khan - Heritage Timeline - 1958 -
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1958
- January 21, 1958: Greeted by Syrian Ismailis at Damascus early in the morning. Arrived in Karachi in the evening.
- January 23, 1958: Takht Nashini at Karachi.
- January 23, 1958: Speaking on the role of Pakistan, Hazar Imam said; "Here is a nation newly-born, unfettered by too many out-worn traditions. She is free, therefore, to forge her own future."
- January 25, 1958: At the conference of the Ismailia Association for Pakistan, Hazar Imam
emphasised the necessity of Religion in the modern world. (click here)
- January 28, 1958: Speech at the Federation of Chambers of Commerce and
Industries Dinner given in his honour.
- January 29, 1958: Speech at the Pakistan Institute of International Affairs, Karachi
on "Islam in Africa."
- January 30, 1958: Civic reception at Karachi.
February 8, 1958: Visited Khyber Pass (Peshawar).
- February 12, 1958: Takht Nashini at Dacca.
- February 15, 1958: Donated Rs 20,000 to the East Pakistan Sports Federation for the
development of sports in East Pakistan, and a gold cup for the All Pakistan Aga Khan Gold Cup
Football Tournament to be held every year.
- February 15, 1958: Left Karachi for Geneva.
- March 9, 1958: Arrived in Delhi, India, and met the late Prime Minster Jawaharlal Pandit Nehru.
- March 11, 1958: Takht Nashini at Bombay.
- March 25, 1958: Delivered speech at the Rotary Club of Bombay on "The Ismailis
and the Role of Asian Communities in the Development of East Africa".
- March 28, 1958: Brief halt at Karachi on His way from Bombay to Geneva.
- May 2, 1958: First interview over BBC Television, London. [Interview here]
- May 11, 1958: First visit to Ismailis in South Africa, the Congo and Portuguese East Africa.
- September 9, 1958: Arrived for 36 hours' visit to Nairobi and performed the opening ceremony of
The Aga Khan Platinum Jubilee hospital, considered to be among the best hospitals in the world.
- September 10, 1958: At the opening ceremony of the Aga Khan Platinum Jubilee Hospital in
Nairobi, Hazar Imam said: "This hospital must serve much more than the Ismaili community in
Kenya or even East Africa. It is intended for all communities and for all races."
- September 16, 1958: Arrived in New York from Geneva to resume studies at Harvard University.
- October 22, 1958: In a football game, brought Harvard University victory by scoring two goals,
the only player to do so. (photo) At Harvard University, Hazar Imam was not only a brilliant scholar but also an outstanding
- Winter 1958: Hazar Imam visited Sardinia for the first time where he had invested $25,000 in
7400 acres of rugged land. (click here)
PHOTO ALBUM 1958
- Masnadnashini, Bombay, 1958
- Masnadnashini, Karachi, 1958
- Masnadnashini, Dacca, 1958
- South Africa, 1958
- Mowlana Hazar Imam at the Beirut Airport with the Syrian and Lebanese Jamat, 1958
- Prince Sadruddin and Mowlana Hazar Imam, at Harvard
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in Harvard, 1958
- Prince Karim Aga Khan studies in Levrett House. At the right is a print He bought for $20.
"Now everything must be pushed out of mind. It may be raining out; but I don't know it. After a coffee
break around midnight I can go back to My room and hit the books till 2 or 3."
- With soccer teammates, on the Harvard Varsity Soccer Team, 1958
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in Laurenco Marques, 1958
- South Africa, 1958
- With Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, India, 1958
- Mowlana Hazar Imam 1958
- Mowlana Hazar Imam painting
- Takhat Nashini
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in a reflective moment
- A painting of Mowlana Hazar Imam in Dacca, February 1958
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Princes Joan Aly Khan at the ball at Savoy Hotel, London in
- From the cover of Life Magazine, November 3, 1958: "Senior at Harvard, The Aga Khan"
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page