Aga Khan - Timeline - 1963
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1963
- March 1963: Initiated East African Industrial Promotion Services (I.P.S.), a development
company to encourage and expand the role of private enterprise in the Third World.
- July 12, 1963: Constitution of the Councils and Jamats of Shia Imami Ismailis of Africa was introduced.
- August 9, 1963: Tanga Jamatkhana was officially opened by the Honourable Rashidi Jumaane Abdallah, Regional Commissioner of Tanga Region. Prince Karim Aga Khan sent his "best loving blessings for the success you have had in the construction of the new Jamatkhana."
- September 6, 1963: Mowlana Hazar Imam arrived at Nairobi to attend opening of training
school and nurses' homes at Aga Khan Platinum Jubilee Hospital by President Jomo
- September 8, 1963: Left for Congo visit as State Guest of the Government.
- November 21, 1963: Reached Karachi from Zurich on his way to Phillipines. Performed
opening ceremony of big Jamat Khana at Kharadhar and laid foundation stone of health
centre and maternity home at Garden, Karachi.
- November 21, 1963: World Muslim Congress held reception at Karachi in honour of
Mowlana Hazar Imam.
- November 23, 1963: At Manila, Philipines, donated 150,000 pounds to Mindanao University at a banquet given in his honour by the Speaker of the Senate. - Aga Khan Museum of Islamic Arts
Description: University museum originally opened in 1962 which was moved to its present site and renamed in 1963, following a donation from His Royal Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan IV. It contains ethnographic artifacts from Mindanao, particularly those connected with the folk arts. Address: MSU Marawi Campus, Islamic City of Marawi
- November 24, 1963: Inaugurated first anniversary celebrations of Mindanao State
University of Muslims at Maravi, Philipines, and spoke on "Islam's Glorious Past". Also
read convocation address at Kamil Islam College.
- November 25, 1963: Returned to Karachi from Philipines and left for Europe.
- December 9, 1963: Arrived in Nairobi on his way to attend Zanzibar Independence
- December 12, 1963: Witnessed Independence celebrations of Kenya as a Special Guest.
PHOTO ALBUM 1963
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with President Kenyatta and two of the nurses at the Aga Khan Hospital, East Africa, 1963
- H.H. The Aga Khan at the Usumbura, Burundi airport, 1963
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page