Aga Khan - Timeline - 1978
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1978
- Hazar Imam received the Gran Croce della Republica Italiana, an honour normally
reserved for heads of state, in recognition of his contribution to tourism development in
Italy. Hazar Imam is the first Muslim and one of the few foreigners to be so honoured.
- 1978: The Aga Khan Foundation Logo was designed by Zahoor ul-Akhlaq of Pakistan.
This logo is based on the right hand, a universal symbol of skill, achievement and caring. It
symbolizes the humanitarian and positive philosophy underlying the Foundation and its
- January 3-29, 1978: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah visited India.
- January 3-29, 1978: The Aga Khan co-sponsored the establishment at the Housing. Article.
- January 4, 1978: Visited Darkhana, Karimabad and Hasanabad Jamat Khanas.
- January 7, 1978: Visited Aly Khan Hospital, Bombay.
- January 10, 1978: Started extensive tour of Maharashtra, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh.
- January 10, 1978: Visited Rajkot.
- January 13-14, 1978:Visited Hyderabad
- January 15, 1978: Visited Nagpur.
- January 17-20, 1978: Visited New Dehli. Called on President Sanjiva Reddy and Prime
Minister Morarji Desai and held discussions with Ministers. Offered to help Indian
students abroad in various fields.
- January 20, 1978: Visited Ahmedabad.
- January 21, 1978: Visited Sidhpur.
- January 22, 1978: Visited Methan.
- January 22, 1978: Attended reception given by Bombay Hospitality Committee of Hosts
representing 51 social, cultural and educational institutions.
- January 23, 1978: Inaugurated branch of Ismailia Co-operative Bank at Andheri West in
- January 25, 1978: Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah were felicitated at a joint meeting of
Rotary Clubs of Bombay, New Bombay and Thane at Oberoi-Sheraton Hotel Mowlana
Hazar Imam addressed the Rotarians on "Collaboration of Service Organizations." Hazar
Imam said; "You referred to me as "Superhuman" and I recollect how the Americans had
applied Einstein's theory of relativity of this concept. No sooner had American comics
invented Superman, then somebody asked "superman in relation to whom?" The result
was the immediate creation of supermouse."
- January 26, 1978: Performed opening ceremony of new Jamat Khana at Yuvan
- January 27, 1978: Hazar Imam gave a speech at the opening ceremony of the SANJAN
Housing Society of Bombay.
- January 28, 1978: Delivered a speech at the Foundation Stone ceremony of Aga Khan
Baug, a low-cost housing complex to be constructed by Muniwar Abad Charitable Trust
at Versova, Bombay. It was Begum Salimah's birthday.
During the India visit: Begum Salimah had a busy schedule. She inaugurated the third
"Inner Circle" exhibition organized by the Ismailia Helping Society, declared open an
audio-visual exhibition organized by the Audio-Visual Department of Ismailia Central
Was the Chief Guest at a cultural program arranged by Ismailia Central Youth Board.
Attended a baby show organized by the Central Health Board. Visited Fidai Boys'
Academy and Girls" Education Institute for Boys' and Girls. Visited Diamond Jubilee
Schools for Boys and Girls. Inaugurated a technical and industrial exhibition at Darkhana
compound; visited the National Association for the Blind Workshop, Bombay; in Gujarat
and Andhra Pradesh, she visited various academies.
- January 29,1978: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah attended a Grand Darbar at
Bombay; Departed from India.
- February 2, 1978: Mowlana Hazar Imam announced to the Jamat of Great Britain, plans
for building a Jamatkhana in Central London.
- April, 1978: Presided and address the opening remarks at the first seminar on the Architectural Awards at
- April 1978: Hazar Imam gave the closing remarks at the seminar on Architectural Awards
- August 30,1978: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah attended the funeral of
President Jomo Kenyatta in Nairobi.
- September 26, 1978: Second seminar on the Architecture Awards held at
Istanbul, Turkey on "Conservation as Cultural Survival: Conservation and Adaptive
Reuse" Hazar Imam in His speech said: "The contemporary Muslim world faces a
fundamental and unique challenge in determining its future physical environment. Sudden
affluence and rapid demographic growth and urbanization have resulted in an
unprecedented rate of building activity."
- September 28, 1978: Closing Remarks by Hazar Imam at the Second
Architectural Awards seminar.
- November 12, 1978: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah arrived in Ottawa for
their first visit of Jamats to Canada.
- November 13, 1978: Met the Ottawa Jamat; had luncheon with
Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau; Mowlana Hazar Imam was Interview: interviewed by CTV Television
Network; Begum Salimah hosted a tea party for wives of several dignitaries.
- November 14 -16, 1978: Visited Vancouver.
- November 17, 1978: Visited Calgary.
- November 18 - 19, 1978: Visited Montreal.
- November 19, 1978: Begum Salimah toured Montreal General Hospital and Montreal
- November 19 - 22, 1978: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah visited Toronto.
- November 19, 1978: Hazar Imam attended a banquet at Toronto Hilton and
gave a speech.
- November 20, 1978: Begum Salimah toured the Overlea Boulevard
Secondary School (now known as Marc Garneau Collegiate). Mowlana
Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah attended a grand banquet held in their honour. Banquet
was attended by Government leaders, politicians, businessmen and diplomats and
numerous important public figures at the Metropole Hotel.
- November 21, 1978: Mowlana Hazar Imam was interviewed by the Toronto Globe and
Mail. Paid courtesy call on Ontario Premier, William Davis. Begum Salimah toured
Toronto's General Hospital and Toronto's Sick Children's Hospital. She had a private
luncheon with wives of government dignitaries.
- November 22, 1978: Departure from Toronto after meeting the Jamat.
- November 24, 1978: The Globe and Mail newspaper published the interview given by
Hazar Imam to Stanley McDowell entitled "The Aga Khan: A Man Of His Time"
PHOTO ALBUM 1978
1978 - Padhramni
- In Bangladesh, Montreal and Toronto
- Examining model of Aga Khan Baug, Bombay, 1978
- With Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, Canada, 1978
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in India
- At Nagpur, with Jamat.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam laying foundation stone of Jamatkhana at Mathan near Sidhpur,
- Mowlana Hazar Imam, Calgary; 1978
- Mowlana Hazar Imam laying the foundation stone of the new Jamatkhana premises at
Methan in Sidhpur district.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Canada Visit 1978
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah with Prime Minister, The Rt. Hon. Pierre Elliot
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah with Mukhi and Kamadia Sahebs of Ottawa
- Mowlana Hazar Imam being welcomed at Montreal Airport
- Mowlana Hazar Imam Toronto Mulaqat.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah at the banquet.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam at the Toronto Deedar.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Toronto Deedar.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam at India.
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page