Aga Khan - Timeline - 1979
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1979
- 1979: An agreement was drawn up between the Aga
Khan University and McMaster University,
Hamilton, Ontario, to establish a four-year educational program for nurses who will teach at the
School of Nursing. (click here)
- 1979: Hazar Imam sent a message for the Health
Seminar which the Aga Khan Central Board of
Pakistan and UNICEF had organised to commemorate the International Year of the Child. (click
- 1979: The "Hikmat" magazine published in U.K.
contained an article entitled "The Aga Khan
Program for Islamic Architecture"
- March 7-10, 1979: Hazar Imam gave guidance to
leaders of western countries Jamats at the St.
Moritz conference. (click here)
- March 24, 1979: Opening of Karimabad Maternity
Home in Karachi, Pakistan, marking the 55th
anniversary of dedication to medical needs of Pakistan by the family of the Aga Khan.
- March 26, 1979: Third Architectural Awards seminar held in Jakarta, Indonesia.
the theme in this seminar and Hazar Imam said; "There is a serious paucity of men and women
able to understand and resolve the practical, cultural, social and aesthetic needs of an evolving
Muslim world" (click here)
- March 29, 1979: Concluding Remarks given by Hazar Imam at the Third
Architectural Awards seminar (click here)
- April 9, 1979: The Institute of Ismaili Studies, under
the Chairmanship of Mowlana Hazar Imam
announced a scholarship programme for Ismaili students for courses in Islamic/Ismaili Studies.
- April 21, 1979: Mowlana Hazar Imam delivered a
speech to the Architectural League, New York.
- May 22, 1979: Chaired a meeting of the Institute of
Ismaili Studies. Waezeen and Teacher
Training Program announced for October 1979.
- May 27, 1979: The
Quiet Prince Of Islam" was the title of an interview published in the Sunday
Telegraph Magazine No. 140 by Anthony Mann.
- September 1-7, 1979: Mowlana Hazar Imam and
Begum Salimah visited the United Kingdom
- September 2, 1979: Mowlana Hazar Imam addressed a
very large gathering of students.
- September 3, 1979: Ismailia women's Organisation
hosted tea party in honour of Begum Salimah.
- September 4, 1979: Hazar Imam's speech at the luncheon hosted in their honour by the
Lord Mayor of Birmingham. Mowlana Hazar Imam donated
10,000 Pounds to the League of Friends of the
Birmingham Children's Hospital.
- September 6, 1979: Hazar Imam was interviewed on
BBC Radio 4 by Michael Charlton in London. (click here)
- September 7, 1979: The Noorani Family witnessed the
ceremony of the Ismaili Centre London, performed by Lord Soames.
- 1979: Mowlana Hazar Imam opened the Karimabad
Maternity Home, Karachi.
- September 22, 1979: Mowlana Hazar Imam met with
President Bok of Harvard and President
Weisner of Massachusetts Institute of Technology to discuss the Aga Khan Award for
- September 25, 1979: Delivered a speech on "The Physical Structure of Islam" to the Asia Society in New York.
- October 1979: Fourth Architectural Awards Seminar held in Fez, Morocco.
- October 9, 1979: Closing Remarks given by Hazar Imam at the Fourth Architectural Awards seminar.
- October 22,1979: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum
Salimah visited Ivory Coast where he had
long discussions with President Houphouet Boigny at Yamasoukro. Discussions of economic
matters with various Ministers took place before meeting with Ismaili Community in Abidjan.
Hazar Imam has several industrial projects in Ivory Coast such as FILTISAL, SIPACCI and I.P.S.
according to the "Fraternite Matin" newspaper.
- October 24-31, 1979: Mowlana Hazar Imam and
Begum Salimah visited Bangladesh. Several
Cabinet Ministers called on Mowlana Hazar Imam during the stay.
- October 30, 1979: Prof. Shamsh ul Haque, the Foreign
Minister, hosted a lunch in honour of their
Highnesses. They visited the Jamat at Karimabad and attended a dinner hosted by President and
- October 31, 1979: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum
Salimah arrived in Melbourne, Australia, as
special guests of the Victoria Racing Club for the Spring Carnival. Hazar Imam had requested that
time be made available for Him and Begum Salimah to be able to visit the Jamat.
- November 7, 1979: Attended lunch in their honour at
Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron. Mowlana
Hazar Imam had his first mulaqat with the Australian and New Zealand Jamats. A total of 141
Ismailis, 134 from all over Australia and 7 from New Zealand were present for the Holy Deedar.
Special Souvenir Medals were made to mark this auspicious occasion.
- November 7, 1979: Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah
attended a Tea Party at 5:45 p.m. In his
speech, Hazar Imam said; "We spent our 10th wedding anniversary flying from Paris to Dacca and
I think not many men can offer their wives a less inspiring anniversary at 42,000 feet" (click
- November 1979: Begum Salimah gave an interview to
Anne Matheson of the Australian Women's
PHOTO ALBUM 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salima attend the Third Seminar for AKAA in Jakarta.
Mowlana Hazar Imam at the fifth Seminar in Amman.(AKAA)
Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Bangladesh visit.
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah, UK visit, July 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam giving a Farman to the UK Jamat, September 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah being greeted on the visit to the Institute of
Ismaili Studies in London, 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam in a meeting with the Steering Committee (September 1979)
Professor Dogan Kuban, Mr. Hasan-ud-din Khan, and Professor Renata Holod.
Mowlana Hazar Imam during the meeting.
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah with the Gover of Sind Lt. Gen. S.M. Abbasi
and Begum Yasmin Abbasi on their brief stop-over at Karachi Airport.
Arrival at the Sydney Airport, October 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah cutting their anniversary cake, offered to them
by the Australia Jamat, 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam, Australia, 1979
a tea party in Australia, 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam at the Didar, October 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam addressing the Australia Jamat, October 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah arriving in Bangladesh, 1979
Mowlana Hazar Imam during His visit to the Sub-continent Pakistan
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page