Aga Khan - Timeline - 1990
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1990
- January 4, 1990:Diwan Sir Eboo Pirbhai dies in London, England at the age of 85. Mowlana Shah Karim said "Sir Eboo's leadership has been a major source of inspiration to members of my community..." Sir Eboo was born in Bombay and migrated to East Africa with his family in 1910.
- May 1990: The Aga Khan Trust for Culture, in collaboration with the Union of Soviet Architects
and the Union of Uzbek Architects, launched an international architectural competition for ideas
on Ulugh Beg Cultural centre in Samarkand, U.S.S.R. The competition is focused on the theme of
a cultural centre to be erected in the memory of Ulugh Beg, a grandson of Timur, who was a
great scholar, mathematician and connoisseur. (click here)
- May 21, 1990: Mowlana Shah Karim and the Rt. Hon. Lynda Chalker, Britain's Minister for Overseas Development, toured the exhibition entitled "Hands accross the World" at the Zamana Gallery which gave a fresh look at global cooperation illustrating the work of the Aga Khan Foundation and its partners in Asia and Africa. Hazar Imam spoke about widespread environmental and health problems The Minister spoke of local community involvement and sustainability. Hazar Imam said: "Scepticism and aid weariness notwithstanding, development can and does take place. Poor people in the Third World will take initiative. But they need opportunities to organise and to participate in order to release their energies." [Speech]
- July 1990: The Aga Khan (as President) and other high-profile partners
launch the yacht 'Destriero' in a bid to capture the title and Hales Trophy
for the fastest cross-Atlantic crossing known as the Blue Riband (see article)
- October 15, 1990: President Suharto of the Republic of Indonesia inaugurates the Aga Khan
Award for Architecture entitled "Contemporary Expressions of Islam in Building" at the State
Palace in Jakarta.
- October 27, 1990: Spoke at the Rokefeller Center.
- November 7, 1990: President Francois Mitterand of France said; "France pays homage to a long
continuity of eminent service rendered to humanity" when presenting Hazar Imam with the award
of "Commander of the Legion d'Honneur", the highest honour established by Napoleon
Bonaparte in 1802. (photo)
- November 17, 1990: Hazar Imam conferred degrees on 88 doctors and 93 registered nurses at the
Third Annual Convocation of the Aga Khan University in Karachi. He said: "Just as health care
and medical education are critical beacons in the struggle of a community to achieve the highest
potential, the status of women and the profession they serve are decisive criteria "
- December 10, 1990: Hazar Imam donated a park in the historic city of Cairo situated at El-Darassah on behalf of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture. Hazar Imam signed a protocol with the
Governor of Cairo, His Excellency Mahmoud Sherif for the creation of a public park in one of
historic Cairo's last remaining open spaces. Hazar Imam expressed the hope that "The Al-Azhar
Park would enhance the quality of life of the people of Cairo and enable its citizens to look on
their environment, their history and their culture with the same pride of past generations and
project this pride to future generations." (photo & text)
- December 1990: GEO Magazine published an article "When Charity Begins Abroad" regarding
Aga Khan Foundation work in the developing countries.
PHOTO ALBUM 1990
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in Cairo for the inauguration of the Al-Azhar Park, built by the Aga
Khan Trust for Culture
- Portrait of Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Rt.Hon. Lynda Chalker, Britain's Minister of Overseas
Development, at the Zamana Gallery, Ismaili Centre in London, 21 May, 1990.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Rt. Hon. Lynda Chalker touring the Gallery.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Rt. Hon. Lynda Chalker viewing the exhibition.
- At the Zamana Gallery, Mowlana Hazar Imam and Rt. Hon. Lynda Chalker.
- Leaving the Zamana Gallery Mowlana Hazar Imam and Rt. Hon. Lynda Chalker.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam delivering the Speech "Hands Across the World."
- Mowlana Hazar Imam being received at the airport in Jakarta by Indonesia's Minister for
Religious Affairs, H.E. Munawar Sjadzaly.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in a happy mood with President Soeharto of Indonesia.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Indonesian Vice President His Excellency Mr. Sudharmono.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Minister Sjadzaly at the closing session of the Aga Khan Award
for Architecture Seminar in Jogjakarta.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam addressing the opening session of the AKAA Seminar, while
President Soeharto looks on.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam receiving the Award of Commander of the Legion d'Honneur from
French President Francois Mitterand in a private ceremony held on Wed. November 1990, at the
- Mowlana Hazar Imam on Dec. 10, 1990 signed a Protocol of Agreement on behalf of
AKTC with the Governor of Cairo, Mahmoud Sherif for the creation of a public park ...
- Mowlana Hazar Imam pouring cement on the foundation stone at the El-Darrassa Park as
the Governor of Cairo, H.E. Mahmoud Sheriff and the First Lady of Egypt, Mrs.Suzanne Mubarak look
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page