Aga Khan - Timeline - 1991
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1991
- 1991: A.K.F.E.D. was given approval by Pakistan's Federal Cabinet to operate a private
sector airline in Pakistan. A.K.F.E.D.'nitiatives will have as cooperants the two largest
private sector airlines in Italy and Spain, Alisarda and Meridiana.
- May 16, 1991: Hazar Imam and Mrs. Lynda Chalker, British Minister for Overseas
Development, signed an exchange of letters at Lancaster House, London relating to the
pledging of 4.7 million Pounds to Aga Khan Rural Support Programme by Britain for Chitral in
the Northern Areas of Pakistan. Speaking at the ceremony, Mrs. Chalker said; "The
Chitral project is a trail-blazer it exemplifies so many of the major concerns of the British
aid programme directly reaching some of the poorest in the country "
- May 19, 1991: A few days after signing the O.D.A. Accord, Hazar Imam signed a second
development Accord in Brussels by which the European Community gave $10 million to
Aga Khan Foundation "trailblazer" projects in the Chitral District of Northern Pakistan
(click here). This is the first major E.C. grant to an Imamat apex institution.
- May 22, 1991: Hazar Imam and Mr. Abel Matutes, the European Community
commisioner responsible for North-South relations, as well as relations with Asia, signed
an agreement in Brussels marking the granting of ECU 8 million (U.S.$9.3 million) in
support of health, education and rural development programmes in Chitral, Northern
- June 5, 1991: King Juan Carlos of Spain and Hazar Imam marked the Opening of Zafra
House in Granada, Spain. Zafra House is a restored 14th century Arab house in the historic
Albaycin quarter of Granada. The restoration took place with financial and professional
assistance provided by the Historic Cities Programme of the Aga Khan Trust for Culture
in the presence of their Majesties, the King and Queen of Spain
- June1991: Hazar Imam received the Huesped de Honor de Granada from the Mayor of
Granada at the time of the inauguration of Zafra House.
- June 1991: Zanzibar English Language Programme second phase was approved by the
Aga Khan Foundation and was also funded by C.I.D.A. (click here)
- Doubles the AKF Endowments.
- July 1991: 2-week visit to East Africa. Celebrated Imamat Day with both Kenya and Tanzania Jamat.
- July 11, 1991: Hazar Imam gave Holy Deedar to Jamats on Imamat Day in Nairobi
Parklands and Dar es Salaam at the Diamond Jubilee Complex.
- July 12, 1991: Hazar Imam and President Mwinyi of Tanzania signed an Accord of
Cooperation for Development that states Tanzania's recognition of the Aga Khan
Development Network's "long contribution to the development of Tanzania" (photo)
- July 1991: Kampala; Hazar Imam announced the opening of a branch of the Aga Khan
Foundation. Talks were also held with President Yoweri Museveni regarding the 1989
Protocol of Agreement which relates to the reinstitution and reutilization of the Imamat's
properties in Uganda. (click here)
- August 12, 1991: Financial Times of London, England prints an interview with Hazar
Imam given to William Dawkins and Edward Mortimer.
- November 1, 1991: On a 17 days visit in Pakistan, Hazar Imam announced Chancellor's Commission to enable the Aga
Khan University, Karachi to expand its international role. In his speech, the Prime Minister
of Pakistan, Mr. Mohammad Nawaz Sharif, paid glowing tribute to Hazar Imam's work:
"We in Pakistan owe a debt of gratitude to His Highness The Aga Khan for the concern
and interest that he has always shown for the development of this country " (click here)
- November 16, 1991: On the occasion of the 4th Convocation of the Aga Khan University
Faculty of Health Sciences & School of Nursing, Hazar Imam said: " Concentrating on
the problems of the present is necessary, but it should not distract from the pursuit of
ambitious goals of the future. We must look through today's problems to tomorrow's
- November 22, 1991: King Juan Carlos of Spain presented Hazar Imam with the Gran
Cruz de Merito Civil at a ceremony at Zarzuela Palace in Madrid. This award is one of
Spain's most important civil decorations (click here)
- 1991: Received the Medaille d'Argent of the Academie d'Architecture de France
PHOTO ALBUM 1991
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Pakistan visit 1991
- Mowlana Hazar Imam visits Zanzibar, where he is contributing funds for restoration
- Mowlana Hazar Imam sharing a light moment at Lancaster House with Overseas
Development Minister, Lynda Chalker.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam, Prince Amyn Mr. Matutes and Maitre Ardoin in Brussels.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Mr. Matutes signing the agreement between the AKF and the
CEC in Brussels on May 22, 1991.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam speaking at the opening ceremony of the Zafra House.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam reviews progress at the Aga Khan School in Kisumu, Kenya.(East
Africa Visit 1991)
- Mowlana Hazar Imam outside the Old Dispensary Building in Zanzibar discussing
rehabilitation of the Stone Town.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam visiting an Early Childhood Education Project in Mombasa, Kenya.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam stresses a point during His visit to the Early Childhood Education
Project in Zanzibar.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and President Salmin Amour at State House, Zanzibar.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and President Daniel Arap Moi at the Banquet at State House,
- President Yoweri Museveni and Mowlana Hazar Imam leaving State House, Entebbe
following the meeting.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and President Hassan Aly Mwinyi signing the Accord at State
- Following the signing of the Accord of Cooperation for Development at State House in Dar
es Salaam, Mowlana Hazar Imam and President Ali Hassan Mwinyi get up to meet the guests.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with civic leaders of Nyanza Province during one of the field visits to
a Primary Health Care Project.
- Prince Amyn Mohammed signing the Protocol of Cooperation on behalf of the Aga Khan
Development Network while the President of Finance, Hon. Steven Kibona signs for the Tanzanian
- Prince Amyn at the signing of the Protocol of Cooperation in Dar-es-Salaam.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam shaking hands with President Museveni of Uganda after signing of
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with President Museveni.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- East Africa 1991
- Mowlana Hazar Imam visiting an Early Childhood Education programme in Zanzibar
sponsored by the Aga Khan Foundation.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam observing a growth monitoring demonstration during His visit to
Kisumu Primary Health Care Project in July 1991.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam being introduced to Professor Sangawe. On the right is Dr.
Naushad Hussein, Dr. Raheem Thomas in the middle.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam during the Kenya-Tanzania visit.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam, Prime Minister Nawaz Shariff and Sindh Governor Mahmoud
Harrron at the AKU Convocation November 1, 1991
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page