Aga Khan - Timeline - 1992
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1992
- 1992: The Cantonal authorities of Geneva hosted a lunch in honour of Hazar Imam to mark the
celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Aga Khan Foundation. Presenting Hazar Imam with a
book of engravings depicting Geneva's rich past, the President of the State Council, Jean-Phillipe
Maitre, recalled the Aga Khan family's long and friendly relationship with the city.
- February 6: Hazar Imam spoke as the Guest of Honour at the prestigious annual dinner of the Royal Society for Asian Affairs on the theme, "Good Governance and the
Civil Society". Some 350 people, including government officials, diplomats, development specialists, academics, journalists, business people and civic leaders, attended the gathering at the Savoy Hotel. [Speech] [Article]
- February 13: Meet with trustees and Chancellor's Commission at the AKU.
- February 25, 1992: Mowlana Hazar Imam hosted a dinner at his residence at Aiglemont to
commemorate the Aga Khan Foundation's Silver Jubilee (1967-1992).
- March 1992: English language program is launch in Zanzibar.
- April 1992: 5-day visit to Uganda and Kenya.
Signed Accords with both Governments. The Accords acknowledge the Aga Khan Development
Network's contribution in the region. At the signing ceremony in Nairobi, President Moi of Kenya
commended the institutions of the Development Network for actively serving Kenya in the fiels of
education and health for more than 50 years. "They were among the pioneers who opened up
their institutions to people of all races and religion long before independence" Moi said. (click
- August 1992: Visit to Canada. Granted Holy Deedar to Canadian Jamats from coast-to-coast.
- August 14, 1992: Hazar Imam had lunch with Prime Minister Brian Mulroney at the his summer
retreat at Harrington Lake just outside Ottawa. (click here)
- August 14, 1992: Accord of Cooperation signed between Aga Khan Development Network and
Government of Canada in Ottawa. The Minister Rt. Hon. Monique Landry also announced the
selection of the Aga Khan Foundation Canada for the design and implementation of a Canadian
$25 million training and special development project in Pakistan.
- August 16, 1992: Hazar Imam gave an interview to Haroon Siddiqui of the Toronto Star (click
- August 19, 1992: Wednesday. Hazar Imam met with the Governor-General of Canada, Mr. Ray
Hnatyshan at the L'Hotel in Toronto.
- August 19, 1992: Hazar Imam spoke at a banquet held in Toronto, at Westin
Harbour Castle Hotel.
- August 25, 1992: Hazar Imam attended and spoke at an Institutional Dinner at the
Four Seasons Hotel hosted by the Ismailia Council for Canada in Vancouver.
Rt. Hon. Bernard Valcourt, Minister for Employment and Immigration also addressed the
audience. (click here)
- September 17, 1992: Hazar Imam and Prince Amyn were personally received at Tashkent Airport
by President Islam Karimov of Uzbekistan. On the same day in Samarkand, the Steering
Committee of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture hosted a dinner in honour of President
Karimov. (click here)
- September 19, 1992: At 7:00 p.m. Hazar Imam and Governor Pulat Majidovich Abdur
Rakhmanov arrived at Registan Square in Samarkand. School children strew rose petals on their
path as they proceeded to take their places on the platform in front of the Tila Kari Madressah.
- September 19, 1992: Hazar Imam addressed an international conference at
Samarkand's historic Registan Square at the fifth cycle of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture
where nine projects were the winners. Hazar Imam said that the task of the Award was "..to build
a space for reflection and debate on the meaning for Architecture of these patterns of change
within the unchanging dimensions of Islam." Nine projects received the prestigious 1992 Aga Khan Award for Architecture.
- September 21, 1992: Hazar Imam was invested with the Honorary citizenship of the city of
Samarkand by the Mayor Aziz Nasirov and Governor Palat Majidovich Abdur Rakhmanov at a
- October 14, 1992: A.K.F.E.D. enters into joint venture with the Alcatel Group and Pakistan
Telecommunications Corporation to manufacture digital switching systems in Pakistan. The
foundation stone ceremony in Islamabad was laid by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
- October 23, 1992: Hazar Imam met with the President of the World Bank, Mr. Lewis Preston in
Washington, D.C. and exchanged views on development.
- November 9, 1992: Hazar Imam arrived at Bombay's Santa Cruz Airport to a red carpet welcome
as a guest of the Government of India. Hazar Imam was then driven in an official motorcade to
the Raj Bhavan where he stayed as State Guest. (click here) Hazar Imam also gave Holy Deedar
to Indian Jamats at many locations during this visit.
- November 14, 1992: Speaking at the fifth triennial Aga Khan Award for Architecture, Hazar
Imam said that modern Muslim architecture must relate to spiritual values (speech).
- November 1992: Visit to Pakistan. Granted Deedar to Jamats.
- November 14, 1992: Hazar Imam attended and spoke at a banquet hosted by the
Vice-President of India in New Delhi.
- 1992: Created the Historic Cities Support Programme (HCSP) to promote the conservation and re-use of buildings and public spaces in historic cities in ways that can catalyse social, econimic and cultural development.
PHOTO ALBUM 1992
1992 - Padhramni
- In Montreal
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Mowlana Hazar Imam at Aiglemont, with the AKF(UK)chief executive officer and National
- Mowlana Hazar Imam launches AKF Celebrations.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Members of the AKF Board and Representatives of the Geneva
- Mowlana Hazar Imam, Canada, August 1992
- Being welcomed to Ottawa Mr.Emile Martel, Deputy Chief of Protocol for the Government
- With Mr. Mohammed Ismail, Chairman of Industrial Promotion Services(IPS)Canada and
Mr. Nizar Kanji, President of the Ismaili Council for Canada
- Mowlana Hazar Imam receiving a warm welcome.
- With Mr. Ameer Esmail, Chairman of the National Committee of the Aga Khan Foundation
- Mowlana Hazar Imam signing the accord
- Mowlana Hazar Imam exchanging copies of the accord
- Mowlana Hazar Imam concluding the accord
- With Mr. Jean-Guy Saint-Martin Vice President CIDA
- Mrs. Monique Landry wishing Mowlana Hazar Imam farewell
- Being received at CIDA headquarters in Hull by Mr. Jean-Guy Saint-Martin Vice President
- Mr. Marcel Masse, President of CIDA, in a private meeting
- Receiving a warm farewell by Mr. Jean-Guy Saint-Martin Vice President CIDA and Mr.
Marcel Masse, President of CIDA
- With Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney at Harrington Lake.
- Taking a walk with Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.
- In discussions with Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.
- Being wished farewell by institutional leaders.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam arriving at Montreal's Dorval Airport
- Hazar Imam being welcomd by Dr. Feroz Kassam, President of the Ismaili Council for
Quebec and the Maritime provinces
- Hazar Imam being introduced to Mr. Amin Jivraj, Honorary Secretary, and Mrs. Shennaz
Jivraj after being garlanded by Mrs. Nazlin Kassam
- Hazar Imam being welcomed by Mr. Amir Bhojani, Chairman, Grants and Review Board
for Quebec and the Maritime provinces
- Hazar Imam with Mukhiani Anar Damji and Kamadiani Gulzar Lalani of Montreal
- Hazar Imam with Mukhi Hussein Damji and Kamadia Azim Lakhani of Montreal
- Hazar Imam, upon arriving in Toronto at the Lester B. Pearson International Airport,
welcomed by Mr. Ally Esmail, President of the Ismaili Council for Ontario
- Hazar Imam arriving at the Toronto International Centre to meet with the Jamat
- Hazar Imam being received at the International Centre by Mr. Shiraz Lakhani, Mr. Amin
Jamal, Mr. Aziz Bhaloo and Mr. Ally Esmail
- Hazar Imam with Mukhi Sadruddin Darveshali and Mukhiani Yasmin Darveshali of Toronto
- Hazar Imam with Kamadia Firoz Ladak and Kamadiani Gulzar Ladak of Toronto
- Mowlana Hazar Imam during an interview with the Toronto Star, August 16, 1992
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Floyd Laughren, Deputy Premier and Treasurer of Ontario,
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Education Minister Tony Silipo and Ms. Laila Daya, Special
- Mowlana Hazar Imam signing the Guest book at queens Park
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Governor General of Canada, His Excellency Ray
Hnatyshyn and Mr. Nizar Kanji
- A private moment with His Excellency Ray Hnatyshyn
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Ms. Sheila Copps, Deputy Leader of the Liberal Party of
- Hazar Imam with His Excellency Fadhil Daudi Mbaga, High commissioner for Tanzania
and Mrs. Elizabeth Mbaga
- Hazar Imam with Mrs. Freda Shah, Consul General of Pakistan
- Hazar Imam with His Excellency Njuguna Mahugu, High Commissioner for Kenya, and
Mrs. Lucy Mahugu
- Hazar Imam with Dr. Alvin Lee, Professor of English and former President of McMaster
University, and Dr. Roberta Bondar, Canada's first female astronaut
- Hazar Imam giving the keynote address at a dinner, where he was the Guest of Honour, at
the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel, Toronto, August 19, 1992
- Hazar Imam in Vancouver, B.C., August 1992
- Hazar Imam in Vancouver, B.C., at a dinner in his honour at the Four Seasons Hotel,
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Jamati leaders, Montreal, Canada; 1992
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and President Islam Karimov alighting the aircraft at Samarkand
airport after flying together from Tashkent.
- Mayor Aziz Nasirov and Governor Pulat Majidovich Abdur Rakhmanov investing Mowlana
Hazar Imam with honourary citizenship of the city of Samarkand.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Prince Amyn in a happy mood in Bukhara. The Governor of
Samarkand Region, Mr. Pulat Majidovich Abdur Rakhmanov is to the left of Mowlana Hazar Imam.
- Addressing an audience of international guests and government and civic officials in
Samarkand's historic Registan Square on September 19, 1992.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Independent Master Jury
- the jury members were Balkrishna
Doshi ( Architect, India) Frank Gehry (Architect, USA), Renata Holod (Professor of Art History, Univ. of
Pennsylvania, USA) Fumihiko Maki (Architect, Japan) Adhi Moersid (Architect, Indonesia) Azim Nanji
(Prof. of Religions, Univ. of Florida USA), Ali Shuaibi (Architect, Saudi Arabia) Dogan Tekeli
(Architect, Turkey) and Said Zulficar (UNESCO World Heritage Centre, Paris)
- Nine projects receive prestigious 1992 Aga Khan Award for Architecture, "Kairouan
Conservation Programme, Kairouan, Tunisia."
- "Palace Parks Programme," Istanbul, Turkey.
- "Cultural Park for Children," Cairo, Egypt.
- "East Wahdat Upgrading Programme", Amman Jordan.
- "Kampung Kali Cho-de" Yogykarta, Indonesia.
- "Stone Building System" Dar'a Province, Syria.
- "Demir Holiday Village" Bodrum, Turkey.
- "Panafrican Institute for Development" Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- "Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India," Ahmedabad, India.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and President Islam Karimov and Mowlana Hazar Imam alighting
the aircraft at Samarkand Airport.
- President Islam Karimov expressing gratitude to Mowlana Hazar Imam for choosing
Samarkand as the venue for the 5th Aga Khan Awards for Architecture ceremony.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam addressing the audience at the 5th AKAA in Samarkand's historic
- Mowlana Hazar Imam wearing the traditional robe while delivering the speech.
- The President of the World Bank and Mowlana Hazar Imam meeting in Washington, D.C.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam paying His respects at Rajghat, the Samadhi of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the President of India, Dr. Shanker Dayal Sharma, at
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with The Prime Minister of India, Shri P.V. Narasimha Rao share a
light moment during their private meeting.
- The Vice-President of India, Shri K.R. Narayanan bidding farewell to Mowlana Hazar
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in discussion with India's Minister of Finance, Dr. Manmohan Singh
- A warm greeting for Mowlana Hazar Imam from Indian architect Mr. Romi Khosla, at the
Vice-President's banquet in Mowlana Hazar Imam's honour at Hyderabad House.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam's visit to India
- Mowlana Hazar Imam meeting Jamati members.
- Volunteers watch Hazar Imam proceed to the next mulaquat.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in a relaxed mood at an official banquet.
- Lush greenery surrounds welcoming floral arches.
- A final few words before another departure.
- Jamati leaders greeting Hazar Imam.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam arrives in India.
- A warm and respectful welcome.
- Being received at Surat airport.
- With the Jamat in Surat.
- At Keshod Airport for Malia Hatina Mulaquat.
- Admist the Jamats and colours of Malia Hatina
- Receiving the Imam.
- Hazar Imam greeting a guest at the Bombay banquet.
- A reflective pose.
- Scouts salute Mowlana Hazar Imam in Shamiana.
- An attentive pause with Jamati leaders.
- Another departure.
- A cheerful Hazar Imam at Nagpur Airport.
- A dignified reception line in Hyderabad.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam departs after Mulaquat
- Acknowledging a uniform welcome.
- Final "Khuda Hafiz" to India.
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page