Aga Khan - Timeline - 1993
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1993
- 1993: Mowlana Hazar Imam signs accord with Bangladesh Government. The Accord recognises the Aga Khan Development Network's many contributions to development in Bangladesh and embodies the Government's agreement to facilitate future optimum utilisation of human and financial resources to accelerate socio-economic and cultural development in Bangladesh.
- 1993: Aga Khan Foundation (U.S.A.) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) signed a grant agreement through which the USDA will provide food aid to the Gorno-Badakshan province of Tajikistan. This food aid would be ensured through the summer of 1994. (click here)
- February 1, 1993: Aga Khan Foundation Canada published an article by Richard Phinney, Manager, Special Programs entitled "Foreign Aid: What's in it for us?" printed in The Ismaili Canada.
- February 13 to 17, 1993: Hazar Imam visited Pakistan to attend various meetings at the Aga Khan University. Hazar Imam was greeted at Islamabad Airport by President Ghulam Ishaq Khan and stayed at the Aiwan-e-Sadr, the official residence of the President.
- March 1993: First Imamat development project starts in Tajikistan.
- Sign Accord with Bangladesh Government.
- June 18, 1993: Keynote Address to World Congress of Architects in Chicago at McCormick Place sponsored by the International Union of Architects and the American Institute of Architects. Hazar Imam said; "God has entrusted His world to the living in order that they may improve it from generation to generation."
- September 16, 1993: Oxford and AKU sign Partnership Agreement.
- October 27, 1993: Hazar Imam attended a lecture given by the Prince of Wales at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies at the Sheldonian Theatre in Oxford, England. The Prince in his lecture said: "If there is much misunderstanding in the West about the nature of Islam, there is also much ignorance about the debt our own culture and civilisation owe to Islamic world." (click here)
- November 30, 1993: Hazar Imam was conferred with Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws (LL.D) from the University of Wales by the Chancellor of the University, the Prince of Wales. Hazar Imam was cited for his patronage of education and academic research throughout the world. (click here)
PHOTO ALBUM 1993
- Mowlana Hazar Imam discussing the progress of the World Bank-funded Thatta District
project at the Department of Community Health Science, AKU.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam being apprised of the workings of the Microbiology Laboratory at
- Mowlana Hazar Imam visits the Pathology Laboratory at the AKU Medical Centre.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam reviewing the operational maintenance of the heavy equipment in
the services building, AKU.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Khaleda Zia sign the Accord of Co-operation for
- Mowlana Hazar Imam observes small industry in action at Boulia Village, As Executive
Director of BRAC, Fazle Abed looks on.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam pauses to examine embroidery at Boulia Village.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam meeting with Grameen Bank borrowers in front of a house financed
under its loan program.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Sir William Ryrie, Executive Vice president of the IFC, signing
an agreement in Washington on a tourism project in Tanzania.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam delivering the Keynote address at the World Congress of
- "His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan, LL.D."
- University of Wales Centenary
- Mowlana Hazar Imam, Prince Charles, Chancellor of the University of Wales and other
members of the Chancellor's procession "doff" their caps following the award of the degree.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in conversation with the Prince of Wales as President Mary
Robinson signs the Visitors' Book at the City Hall, Cardiff.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Prince of Wales and the Director of the Oxford Centre, Dr.
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page