Aga Khan - Timeline - 1970
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1970
- January 1970 was the start of a significant tour in Pakistan. It was also the launching year of the Aga Khan Programme for Islamic Architecture.
- January 15, 1970: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah visited Pakistan. They were
received by General Mohammad Yahya Khan at the Presidential Palace where Mowlana Hazar
Imam was awarded the Nishan-I-Imitiaz. Later in the evening the President hosted a dinner for
- January 16, 1970: Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah gave a banquet in honour of President Yahya
Khan at the Hotel Intercontinental, Rawalpindi
- January 18, 1970 Made a speech in Islamabad.
- January 19, 1970: Visited Lahore where they were received by, among others, the West Pakistan
Governor, Air Marshal Noor Khan and his wife. During the three-day stay, His Highness paid
flying visits to Sargodha and Multan.
- January 21, 1970: Back in Lahore, Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah were given a
reception by Anjuman-e-Himayate Islam.
- January 22, 1970: Left for a tour of East Pakistan. Arrived at Jessore Airport in afternoon and
later left by car for Khulna.
- January 23, 1970: Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah attended a luncheon hosted by the People's
Jute Mills Club, Khulna. (click here)
- January 25, 1970: Given a rousing welcome when they flew into Dacca from Khulna.
- January 26, 1970: Begum Salimah laid the foundation stone of a block of flats at Hasanabad in
- January 26, 1970: Hazar Imam attended a luncheon in his honour hosted by the Pakistan Jute
Mills Association in Dacca. The president of PJMA welcomed Hazar Imam.. Hazar Imam replied to the warm welcome in his speech on that occasion.
- January 28, 1970: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Salimah attended a reception organised by
the Supreme Council for East Pakistan.
- January 29, 1970: Hazar Imam visited the I.P.S. offices, Hazar Imam spoke of bright possibilities
for tourism in the country.
- January 29, 1970: Mowlana Hazar Imam was interviewed by a Morning News reporter at
- January 30, 1970: Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah flew back to Karachi where Hazar Imam said in a speech "Pakistan must take a giant step...".
- January 31, 1970: Hazar Imam visited Ismaili gatherings at the three main centres in Karachi, at
Kharadhar, Garden and Karimabad. Also visited the Mazar of Quaid-e-Azam Mohamed Ali
Jinnah, the Father of Pakistan, to offer Fateha and lay a floral tribute. In the evening, Hazar Imam
and Begum Salimah were guests of honour at a reception given by Vazier Amir Ali Fancy.
- February 1970: Pakistan army paid Hazar Imam the signal honour of making him Honorary
Colonel of the 6th Lancers.
- February 1, 1970: Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah began their program of personally inspecting
Ismaili education and social institutions by visiting the Aga Khan III School (Sultan Mohammed
Shah Foundation School) at Karimabad where Hazar Imam made an extempore speech.
- February 2, 1970: They were guests of honour at a luncheon given by the Director of the Pakistan
Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation.
- February 3, 1970: Hyderabad laid on a red carpet welcome for Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum
Salimah when they flew in from Karachi. Morning was spent at the Ismaili Centre. Hazar Imam
and Begum Salimah lunched with the Commissioner. Begum Salimah and the Commissioner's
wife, Begum Nusrat Hassan, visited APWA School and Industrial Home.
- February 5, 1970: Begum Salimah spoke at the Baby Show arranged by the Aga Khan Health
- February 6, 1970: Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred on Hazar
Imam by Sind University, Jamshoro at a Special Convocation. In his citation, Al-Haj
Sayid Ghulam Mustafa Shah, Vice-Chancellor of the University said; "In a short span of 12 years
as Imam, His Royal Highness has shown that he is endowed with wisdom, versatility, sagacity and
statesmanship which are characteristic of his noble and great family. In the fast-changing and
kaleidoscopic conditions on the continents of Asia and Africa, His Royal Highness has not only
guided the socio-economic activities of his own followers, but has also rendered immense material
assistance in the economic development of new and young nations and thereby advanced the well-being, prosperity and stability of the people of those countries."
- February 7, 1970: Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah visited Jamatkhanas, schools and
hospitals. They had returned to Karachi the previous day from Hyderabad.
- February 8, 1970: Mowlana Hazar Imam spoke to Ismailis at the Darkhana and Garden
Jamatkhanas. Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah visited Prince Aly Khan Boys' Academy to
perform its opening ceremony. Hazar Imam said; "The Ismailia Youth Services have provided a
magnificent example which I hope will be followed, not only by my Jamat in Pakistan, but also by
my Jamat in other parts of the world."
- February 8, 1970: Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah were Guests at a Dinner hosted by the
Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry at the Hotel Intercontinental, Karachi.The president of the Chamber of Commerce pronouced a welcome speech on that occasion.
- February 9, 1970: Hazar Imam addressed teachers of Ismaili educational institutions at the Aga
Khan Gymkhana School. Later in the day, Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah attended a mammoth
civic reception given for them by the citizens of Karachi at the Bagh-e-Jinnah.
- February 9, 1970: Hazar Imam addressed the Education Board in the Pandal.
- February 10, 1970: Begum Salimah with 12,000 spectators, watched a spectacular physical
education display by students of Aga Khan schools at the Hockey Stadium. At the end, she
announced the award of the Aga Khan Trophy to be presented annually to the school giving the
best physical education display.
- February 13, 1970: Begum Salimah was entertained to a mass display of variety of items
performed by various units of the Aga Khan forces at the Police Grounds.
- February 13, 1970: Hazar Imam spoke as chief guest", at a luncheon in their
honour hosted by the RCD Chamber of Commerce, following the address by the president of the RCD.
- February 14, 1970: Begum Salimah visited Ismailia socio-welfare institutions in Karachi, amongst
them the Day Nursery and Dispensary run by the Karimabad Health Centre and the Primary
School and Cottage Industries Centre of the Ismailia Women's Association. Hazar Imam and
Begum Salimah were guests of honour at the luncheon reception organised by R.C.D. Chamber of
- February 15, 1970: Early morning was spent at Garden Jamatkhana by Hazar Imam. He later
drove to the Mahendi Convalescence Home - the birthplace of Mowlana Sultan Muhammad Shah.
In the afternoon, Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah attended a Grand Durbar at the Aga Khan
In the evening, Hazar Imam invited leading newspaper editors and reporters of Pakistan for an
informal gathering. A Press Conference was held at Vazir Amirali Fancy's residence.
- February 16, 1970: Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah left for Paris.
- February 16, 1970: Ceremony held in Nairobi, Kenya.
- September 18, 1970: Birth of Princess Zahra in Geneva, Switzerland. (click here)
- November 10, 1970: Hazar Imam arrived at Dar es Salaam Airport in his personal Grumman
executive jet to a rousing welcome from the Jamat. Prince Amyn, who had arrived the day before,
was also present to hug and welcome Hazar Imam.
- November 12, 1970: Thursday 5:00 P.M. Mowlana Hazar Imam witnessed the opening of I.P.S.
in Dar es Salaam , Tanzania. Mr. George Kahama, General manager of the National Development
Corporation of Tanzania said in his address; "His Highness The Aga Khan has always taught and urged the
members of the Ismaili community to be loyal and true citizens to the country in which they may
- November 1970: Hazar Imam gave an interview to Mansoor Ladha, sub-editor of the Standard
Tanzania newspaper, under the title "Islam - The Most Multi-Racial Faith"
- December 1970: Hazar Imam visited Kenya for 5 days.
PHOTO ALBUM 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- India visit, 1970
- India visit
- January 1970, Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah receiving an official welcome at
- January 1970, Mowlana Hazar Imam meeting tribal leaders en route to Torkham, bordering
- January 1970, Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah greeting the Ismailis of Lahore
- January 1970, Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah watching a spicy meal be
prepared at the Aga Khan School
- January 1970, Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah at the Darbar held at Aga Khan
- January 1970, Mowlana Hazar Imam presents Mrs. Shokat Fancy, daughter in law of
Count Amirali Fancy, a set of silver-plated coins
- President Yahya Khan decorating Hazar Imam with "Nishan-e-Imtiaz"
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with President Yahya Khan and Begum Salimah after receiving the
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in a jovial mood
- Dacca, 1970 visit.
- President General Yahya Khan received Mowlana Hazar Imam at the Dinner given by him
in honour of Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam, President Yahya Khan and Begum Salima share a joke at the
Dinner given by Mowlana Hazar Imam to President General Yahya Khan.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam at the Karachi, Aga Khan Day nursery. Looking at the tower with
wooden pieces, He says "Children were very clever to make them."
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- East Pakistan 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salima
- Dacca 1970 visit
- Signing the Distinguished Visitors' book at Islamabad Club.
- The President Gen. Agha Mohammed Yahya Khan decorated Mowlana Hazar Imam with
the honour of "Nishan-e-Imitiaz" at the President's House.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam talking to Tribal Maliks and Elders at Jamrud
- Brigadier Mahmmood shows Mowlana Hazar Imam a clock at the Khyber Rifles, Landi
Kotal, beyond Peshawar. The clock is worked by the rays of the sun.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam coming down the front steps at Vazir Amirali Fancy's bungalow
where He graciously resided during the Karachi visit in 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah admiring the Lancer Trophy presented to their
Royal Highnesses by the Cavalry Regiment, Multan; January 21, 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah; January 17, 1970, Pakistan
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah on their way to visit People's Jute Mills,
Khulna; January 22, 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam laying the foundation stone of the new Jamatkhana at Khulna
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah on arrival at the Dacca airport; Jan. 25 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam watching a worker at Jessore Jute Industries while Mr. Shamsh
Lakha, Managing Director of IPS, explains the process, 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Directors of IPS Pakistan Limited, Dacca, 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam keenly observes the Projects Display during his visit to Jessor Jute
Mills Ltd., Khulna, January 29, 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah cutting a cake on the occasion of the birthday
of Begum Salimah; at a dinner hosted by Vazir Mohammed Bhai, President of Aga Khan Supreme
Council for East Pakistan, Dacca, January 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam visited the Mazar of the Quaid-e-Azam, where he offered Fateha
and laid floral tributes on the Mazar
- Mowlana Hazar Imam's arrival in Karachi, January 31, 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in Karachi, January 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah with Begum Amirali Fancy on arrival at Sultan
Mohammed Shah Foundation School, Karachi, Feb. 1, 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam unveiling the Foundation Stone of Sind University Library,
Hyderabad; Feb. 6, 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam addressing the Jamat in India
- Portrait January 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah India Visit.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah at the Grand Darbar. An estimated Jamat of
70,000 attended and it took 16 minutes for Their Royal Highnesses to pass through the Jamat to
reach the throne.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam accompanied by Begum performing the opening ceremony of
Prince Aly Boys Academy.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah, going to the Grand Darbar February 1970
- Mowlana Hazar Imam during an by Mansoor Ladha.
- President Jomo Kenyatta presented Mowlana Hazar Imam with a gong mounted on ivory
and copper and Mama Ngina Kenyatta presented for the Begum a set of ear-rings and a brooch made
from lion's claws . His Highness presented the President the President and his wife with a gold bowl
- Mowlana Hazar Imam waving "Khuda-hafiz"
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page