Aga Khan - Timeline - 1981
Aga Khan IV - Timeline - 1981
- 1981: The AK Award got the American Graphic Award.
- February 14, 1981: Hazar Imam visited Pakistan.
- February 1981 - Turning to the students, Hazar Imam used words which touched the hearts of all
present. "Here today, you, like Me, are at the beginning. You are starting your chosen professional
training; the opening of your school is, for Me, the beginning of a major new philanthropic medical
complex. My purpose is to make possible the development of your career, but you must achieve. If
you fail, I have failed. If you succeed Pakistan will be rewarded." (click here)
- February 14, 1981: Launched Begum Rana Liaquat Ali's book.
- February 15, 1981: Attended reception given by Mayor Abdul Sattar Afghani of
Karachi who presented Hazar Imam with the "Key of Karachi City". Everywhere he received a warm welcome.
- February 15, 1981: Honorary Membership award by Pakistan Medical Association, Sind. The
President of the Medical Association said; "For the first time in 33 years .it has been our great
fortune to bestow upon a personality like yours the Honorary Membership ." (click here)
- February 16, 1981: President Zia ul Haq of Pakistan granted the status of "The Aga
Khan University of Health Sciences" to the Aga Khan Medical College and Hospital, Karachi,
Pakistan. Hazar Imam witnessed the inauguration of the Aga Khan School of Nursing, Karachi,
by President Zia-ul Haq. The school received subsequently an American Award.
- February 16, 1981: According to Montreal Gazette dated February 17, 1981, Pakistani President
Zia ul Haq had lunch on February 16th in Karachi with his Holiness Pope John Paul II, His
Highness The Aga Khan and Dr. William Storrar, Medical Consultant to the Aga Khan
Foundation. Lunch was held at Hotel Intercontinental.
- February 18, 1981: Friday. Hazar Imam was interviewed on television in Karachi by Mr. Javed
- March 1- 20, 1981: Mowlana Hazar Imam and the Noorani Family visited Kenya, went for a Safari there..
- March 2, 1981: His Highness delivered the keynote address to the 30th General
Assembly of the International Press Institute in Nairobi.
- March 6, 1981: Mowlana Hazar Imam visited the Jamat in the Parklands complex with the
- March 7 - 18, 1981: Mowlana Hazar Imam and the Noorani Family visited Mombasa. In Kisumu,
Mayor Ezra Gumbe conferred the Honorary Citizenship of the Town on His Highness.
- March 12, 1981: Hazar Imam gave a speech at H.H. The Aga Khan Kenya Secondary School.
- March 15, 1981: Hazar Imam was Guest Of Honour at a Banquet held in Kisumu. Hazar Imam
said; "Since many years, my community and I have been working in many countries of the
developing world and I would like to say publicly that few, if any, have had such a remarkable
record as Kenya since independence." This was in response of the Chairman Dahiya's speech.
- March 16, 1981: Hazar Imam said during his visit to the Aga Khan Primary School, Kisumu that;
" teaching is a profession which has not received the credit, the admiration, the respect which it
should receive " (click here)
- March 16, 1981: Hazar Imam wrote in the Guest Book of Aga Khan Medical Centre, Kisumu; "It
has been a great pleasure to visit this fine institution "
- March 18, 1981: Mowlana Hazar Imam departed for Europe.
- April 1981: The School of Nursing of the Aga Khan Hospital and Medical College in Karachi
won an "Award of Excellence" from the Boston Society of Architects. (click here)
- June 3, 1981: Hazar Imam's racehorse, Shergar, won the Epsom Derby by a distance of 10
lengths in a spectacular display.
- June 11-13, 1981 - Ismaili editors met at Aiglemont. Hazar Imam graciously granted an audience to
the participants whom He commended for their effort and hard work on their publications. Hazar
Imam also spoke about the characteristics of a good publication and encouraged the editors to strive
for higher standards. Prince Amyn, Mr. Michael Curtis, Executive Aide to Hazar Imam, and other
notables also addressed the gathering.
- July 10, 1981: His Highness signed a contract with Allied Medical Group of the United Kingdom
to arrange for equipment for the Aga Khan Hospital and Medical University, Karachi, and to train
- 1981 - The Aga Khan sponsored the creation of the quarterly "Mimar: Architecture in Development"
- July 15, 1981 - First issue of "Mimar" comes off the press. "Mimar is an off-shoot of the Award,
but it must eventually stand on its own two feet," said Hassan Khan in a recent interview. "His
Highness has generously provided the assistance and inspiration for us to launch the publication
but since it is a separate venture it has to become self-financing." (click here)
- September 2, 1981: Mowlana Hazar Imam visited the Institute of Ismaili Studies where he chaired
a meeting of the Board of Governors, met with the Faculty and met the staff and students.
- September 7 - 14, 1981: In Paris, Mowlana Hazar Imam attended the Conference of the Least
Developed Countries. (click here)
- October 13, 1981: Short stop in Karachi en route for Beijing.
- October 19, 1981: Hazar Imam gave the
- October 19 - 22, 1981: At Beijing, addressed the Sixth International Seminar sponsored by the
Aga Khan Award for Architecture. "Changing the Rural Habitat". A banquet was hosted for His
Highness by the Architectural Society of China at Beijing's Great Hall of the People.(click here)
- October 22, 1981: Closing Remarks given by Hazar Imam at the Beijing seminar
- October 22 - 23, 1981: Mowlana Hazar Imam visited Xian where he attended Juma prayers at the
- October 25, 1981: Visited Urumchi where he gave interviews to Xinhua News Agnecy and
Xinjiang Gizetti. A banquet was hosted in His honour by the Chairman of the People's
Government of Xinjiang Autonomous Region Mr Ismail Ahmad.
- October 26, 1981: Visited Turfan in the Takla Makan Desert, the Imim Minara and a nearby
- October 27 - 29, 1981: Visited Kashgar.
- October 19 - 29, 1981: Mowlana Hazar Imam, Prince Amyn Mohammed and delegates visited the
Great Wall, the Ming Tombs and the Forbidden City.
- October 30, 1981: Mowlana Hazar Imam left for Paris via Karachi from Urumchi after giving an Interview on the problem of rural habitat.
- October 31, 1981: Visited Karachi to review construction programme at Aga Khan Hospital and
- November 11, 1981: Letter from Begum Salimah to leaders and Jamat of Kisumu, Kenya.
- November 22, 1981: Hazar Imam gave a keynote speech at the opening session of the Aga
Khan Foundation/W.H.O./CIDA Conference on the role of Hospitals in Primary Health Care in
- November 23, 1981: Pakistan Qaumi Yakjehti Shield award by Pakistan Qaumi Yakjehti Council
in recognition of the service of Hazrat Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah.
- November 25, 1981: Hazar Imam was Chief Guest at the 5th All-Pakistan Ophthamological
- November 26, 1981: Concluding Remarks at the International Conference on Health
in Karachi, Pakistan sponsored by the Aga Khan Foundation, the World Health Organisation
(WHO) and the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA). (click here)
- December 16, 1981: Signed a Memorandum of Agreement with President Bok between the Aga
Khan Foundation and Harvard University to mutually cooperate in the health and medical
education development of the Third World. "We are tring to to establish relationships in which we
can learn from both Northern and Southern institutions." Hazar Imam said (quoted by New York
Times (click here)
- Hazar Imam examined a copy of Avicenna's Medical Canons at Countway Library. (click here)
PHOTO ALBUM 1981
- Kenya Litho, Nairobi, 1981
- With Vice Premier Gu Mu, China, 1981
- With President Daniel Arap Moi, Kenya, 1981
- With Muslim Ambassadors, Nairobi, 1981
- Working aboard His plane, 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and the Noorani children on safari in Kenya, 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with "Shergar," winner of the 1981 Derby
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Noorani Family, Aiglemont, 1981
- With the Imam of the X'ian Mosque, China, 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Mowlana Hazar Imam, Begum Salimah and Princess Yasmin; 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam, Begum Salimah and Princess Zahra with their prize horse Shergar
and the horse's groom, in Ballymany, 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Patrick Geurrand-Hermes at Marie-Jose Nat
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Mowlana Hazar Imam watering the Sapling planted by the President in the A.K. School of
- Mowlana Hazar Imam delivering the Keynote Address at the I.P.I. General Assembly,
Nairobi, March 1981.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam chatting with Minister of Information, Mr. Peter Aringo, during Dinner
hosted by I.P.I at Nation Newspapers, Nairobi, March 1981.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Mombasa Jamat Khana
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- East Africa Visit.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- Family Safari Visit.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in a jovial mood, touring the grounds of the Serena Beach Hotel
- Touring the grounds of Mombasa Serena Beach Hotel with General Manager of the Hotel,
- Mowlana Hazar Imam
- "The Didar"
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Prince Rahim at the Didar.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salima Mombasa Jamat Khana
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salima pictured at their flower laden table during the
"Bamburi Banquet" Mombasa, Kenya
- Mowlana Hazar Imam arriving in Kisumu, March 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in the Airport Lounge with Sir Eboo, Kisumu, March 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam upon arriving at the Kisumu Jamatkhana Complex, 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam at a banquet in Kisumu, with Commissioner Mr. Cherogony and His
Worship the Mayor Ezra Gumbe
- Mowlana Hazar Imam's handwritten message to the people of Kisumu, 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Girl Guides; Kisumu 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with Boy Scouts; Kisumu 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Food Management Committee; Kisumu 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Women's Association; Kisumu and Eldorate 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Transport, Traffic and Security Committee; Kisumu 1981
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Huzur Staff; Kisumu 1981
- His Highness the Aga Khan and Lord Matthews, Chief Executive of the Trafalgar House
Group after the contract signing in London on September 3rd. The model of the Aga Khan Hospital
and Medical College, Karachi, is in the foreground.
8109429 French Minister of Foreign Affairs Claude Cheysson, UN Secretary General Kurt Waldheim,
Mowlana Hazar Imam and Begum Salimah pictured at a reception at the Foreign Ministry in honor of
participants of the UN Conference on the Least Developed Countries held in Paris September 1-14,
- Mowlana Hazar Imam with the Vice-Premier of China, His Excellency Mr. Gu Mu
- Mowlana Hazar Imam at the Great Mosque of Xian with the Imam of the Mosque, Mr.
Mohammed Yunus. Immediately behind Hazar Imam are Prince Amyn Mohammed and various
Muslim participants of the seminar
- Hazar Imam entering a village commune, receives a warm welcome from local inhabitants
- The Chinese Vice-Premier Mr. Gu Mu with Mowlana Hazar Imam and an official of the
Architectural Society of China. Looking on are Brigadier Iqbal Shafi and Mr. Said Zulficar, Convenor of
the Aga Khan Award for Architecture
- Mowlana Hazar Imam in Karachi en route to Beijing, at the Karachi airport with Sind
- Mowlana Hazar Imam leaving Karachi en route to Beijing with Governor of Sind Lt. Gen.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam chatting with one His hosts during the China Visit, October 1981.
- Mowlana Hazar Imam and Harvard's President Bok sign a cooperating agreement between
the Aga Khan Foundation and Harvard University on December 16, 1981. The agreement expresses
their mutual intent to explore possible specific forms of future collaboration, particularly in the fields of
health and medical education. The first area of collaboration will be between The Harvard Medical
School and The Aga Khan Hospital and Medical College, Karachi.
Previous - Next
Timeline Main Page